Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkins

Tonight we finally carved pumpkins. I have not been brave enough to allow my children too many responsibilities thus far in carving...but decided they have now reached the point where they should be entirely responsible for the whole process for their own pumpkin...this is interesting.
Kade picked the weirdest shaped pumpkin I have ever seen. And, to our surprise, it had some mutant skin so thick I couldn't even jab my sharp knife through it. So, we took it outside and performed a lobotomy.

See how deep? We thought we might lose his arm to that pumpkin for a moment...

Riley absolutely loved digging in after the seeds. This year Kade was the reluctant one. By the time we finished up the surgery she was almost finished emptying out her pumpkin.

We got a little creative with Kade's carving technique. After what it took to get the lid off... We decided it would be fun to drill holes and poke twinkly lights through. (Of course I have no idea where all my lights are so we'll have to buy some tomorrow.)

Riley's carving went really well. She carved all this by herself! All I did was cut the lid.

Riley's glowing pumpkin. They both did a fabulous job and we had so much fun. While they were removing seeds I was cooking them. For dessert we had homemade pumpkin seeds which the kids just loved.
I officially deem tonight a success.

No comments: