Friday, April 3, 2009

News from Kansas

Well, the good news is that we finally made it. For those of you who know more of the particulars, you may understand more fully just what a challenge our move turned out to be. But, we are here, our belongings have arrived, the kids are enrolled in school, and it snowed yesterday.
Kade and Riley love the house. The each have their own room and are currently trying to divvy up the remaining bathroom. They are just so excited! Kade went to scouts on Wednesday and says he really likes the boys in his pack. Riley has heard that ballet is offered in a nearby community and has plans to attend--I have yet to locate this establishment...
Our yard is seriously huge. Despite the builders putting down grass seed, it is still all dirt. The rain, snow, more rain, and more snow ended up washing a majority of the seed into the street. We have plans to lay out a garden area soon and have even begun nurturing seeds inside. (Apparently out here we have to get them started before we put them outside since we have to wait so long for the danger of a late frost to pass.)
As I have sat home and attempted to unpack our mess, I have discovered that we really do live in the middle of nowhere--even if there are a lot of other people who also live out here. When I finally located the TV's power cable, an old antenna, and the PS2--but no PS2 cord or controller (our DVD player)--I decided that we could scan for some local channels hoping PBS was among the free ones. To my astonishment, only one channel was found--and it wasn't PBS. We live so far from a real city that we can't pick up ABC, CBS or NBC. Obviously not PBS either. I even asked my neighbors when they were so kind as to introduce themselves. They confirmed it--no "local" channels out here.
I then discovered that my modem didn't speak the same language as the Kansas internet. I set to reprogramming it and finally succeeded just the other day. Hopefully I will be able to keep in touch better this way. I plan on posting more--when I actually have something to post about.
For now, I'd better get back to unpacking.

2 comments:

Brian Reed said...

It sounds like you are still having an adventure, but you are progressing. You cant plant that garden in the snow. Tell Kade and Riley Howdy for me.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it! It was quite a trip, so I've heard! I'm glad that everyone likes it! Good luck with the continuously unpacking.